Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A good weaponeer becomes a target

Many people at LANL, including me, have a mindset that drives them to working harder and harder and learning more and more.

For most, including me, this mindset seems to be derived from persistent feelings of inadequacy - "If only I could be a little more productive, if only I could learn a little more, then I would be an adequate person."

This underlying feeling of needing to do a 'little more' makes such a person an easy target of manipulation by others.

All the others have to do is hold the carrot of adequacy a little out of reach and keep it out of reach. Then we all chase after it.

The only winning strategy is to stop the chase. To say to ourselves, I am adequate and will do the chase only if I get rewarded well enough. I will complete this task well but will only do another task for you if I am rewarded well enough. Otherwise, I will chase something more rewarding. As we have found out, the nominally high salaries can easily become a trap.

Just a thought (one that for me liberates me from a lot of not so good behavior.)

Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home