Sunday, June 24, 2007

Anonymity 2

Any one have insights into why 40% of the comments on LANL:The Rest of the Story are so negative and on why those commenting attack anyone who has a real name, for instance Anastasio and Domenici.

My current guess comes from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's stages of grief.

These stages are:
  • Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
  • Anger (why is this happening to me?)
  • Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
  • Depression (I don't care anymore)
  • Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)
It seems that the angry commenters are stuck in stage two. Many lab employees are still in stage one. The apparent reason for staying in these stages is that the person is facing the loss of their life's work without any internal reason to think that they are employable anywhere else. This is bigger than a divorce.

The number of people in stage one or stage two is sad because you can't deal with the problem until you get to stage five. I hope that LLNL people get through these stages faster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home